Want to go on a road trip?
Next Event Date: TBA
What is the Road Trip Challenge?
It's kind of like a scavenger hunt, it's kind of like a road rally, it's kind of a lot of fun. It's a road trip where the destinations are already picked out for you, you just have to figure out which ones to visit.
How exactly does that work?
The full rules are listed below, but here's the simple version: You and a friend will come to Fast Lane Oil Change in Sturgis. From there, you'll go on a road trip to any number of destinations that we've hand-picked. Some of these will be worth more points than others; you and your navigator will have ten minutes to figure out where to go to get the most points. There's a four-hour time limit to get back to Fast Lane in Sturgis; go out and get as many points as you can, get back to Fast Lane, most points wins.
What can I drive in the event?
We don't care! Car, truck, motorcycle, one-off kit car you built in your shed; as long as it's legal and at least looks safe, go for it.
What's it worth to me?
- It's an event! Get out of the house for the day, bring a whole carload of friends along, and discover some places you probably never knew existed.
- It's free to enter! The only money you're going to spend is on four hours' worth of fuel, so just show up with a full tank and let us worry about the rest.
- There are prizes! The three best scores will receive Fast Lane gift certificates, plus everyone gets a little something to take home.
What am I waiting for?
The next time we do this! See above for information on our next event.
- Remember, this is NOT a race. Stay within posted speed limits, and drive in a safe and controlled manner.
- A Team consists of the vehicle, the driver, and an optional navigator.
- The driver must be at least sixteen years of age and possess a full, unrestricted driver’s license from their state or province of residence.
- Navigators are recommended, but not required. There is no age limit for navigators.
- If no navigator is used, some form of hands-free navigation must be available.
- Any street-legal vehicle with valid registration and insurance may be used.
- The vehicle must appear to be capable of completing the trip without breaking down. The Event Organizer’s decision in this case is final.
- Motorcycles are allowed.
- Teams must check in before the drivers’ meeting and receive a mascot to be eligible to run.
- The drivers’ meeting starts thirty minutes before the departure time of the first vehicle.
- Vehicles will stage at the exit of Fast Lane to be released in five-minute intervals at the top of the minute. The Starter will announce one minute before the Team departs, then thirty seconds, ten seconds, then will count down from five seconds. Time starts the second the Starter releases the vehicle.
- Ten minutes prior to the vehicle’s release, the navigator will be handed a list of destinations and point values. The Team will have four hours from the time of release to collect as many points as possible and return to Fast Lane within the time limit.
- The Team will drive to whichever destination(s) it chooses, take a picture of the mascot in the proper location, then mark that destination off on their sheet.
- There will be a fifty-nine second grace period (e.g. if your departure time is 10:05:00, you have until 2:05:59 to get back).
- For the avoidance of doubt, time ends at the second a Team member hands the completed destination sheet to the Event Organizer. The Event Organizer will verify the Team’s pictures and tally point totals.
- The Team will be penalized five points for each minute late. Partial minutes will be counted in their entirety.
- The Team with the most points after any penalties wins.
- In the event of a tie, the team with the shortest elapsed time will win.
- If both Teams’ elapsed times are equal, the Teams will split any prizes.
- Remember again, this is NOT a race. Be responsible so we can all do this again sometime.